[CBQ] Another step off

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Another step off
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:54:30 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Talking about step off brought another true story to mind.
There was a natural  imbalance in traffic on the C&I, as a general  rule
westbound traffic generally exceeded eastbound. That meant long  layovers in
Savanna(problematic for many reasons) and then at some point the  excess crews
would have to be deadheaded back east so they would be rested to  work west
again.
This would lead to short home layovers and long ones at the  wonderful away
from home terminal.
Deadheading,after the demise of passenger service was on another frt train;
so you'd ride the second or third unit or the w/c back to Aurora unless your
car  was in Cicero. Then you'd be stuck deadheading into Cicero just to get
your car.  If you had taken the dinky into Cicero for the westbound trip then
all
you  did was "step off" at Aurora on the deadhead and get into your car and
go home. Sometimes though I had driven into Cicero(see the other  step off
email) expecting to need a way home on the weekend due to limited  suburban
service and find myself deadheading home . I didn't want to spend an  hour plus
going to Cicero and another hour plus driving home because if you  deadheaded
east you generally got called on your rest to head west again.  So....... I'd
step off under the Wood St bridge and walk the three or  four blocks home.
Crews
often thought I was nuts but it saved time and gas. Then  when I got called to
go west 8-10 hours later I'd hitch a ride to the depot for  the dinky and
finally bring the car home upon returning east again. Of course if  I
deadheaded
east again then the car stayed in Cicero.

Leo
http://www.aol.com.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/kOt0.A/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM