Re: [CBQ] Ice and related activities thereto

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Ice and related activities thereto
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 00:51:33 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
If you've read my book TERMINAL TALES and/or a piece in TRAINS a few years
ago, by a CNW man you will perhaps recall some recollections of those of us
who had the privilege of dealing with steam heated passenger
equipment....specifically the old suburban cars.....The thawer of choice was a
piece of heavy
wire with a wad of burning oil soaked waste  (anybody  remember waste) shoved
under the trap...If you got it too hot the rubber in the  trap would melt and
then the trap wouldn't work right.

The weather here the last few days reminds me of my Joliet TM days  (actually
it was nights and days) the winter of 1961-62.  We had as long a  stretch of
below zero weather as I can ever remember...It was about a 3 week  period from
mid January to early February...It would go down to 15-20 below at  night and
the weatherman would say...The high tomorrow will be 5 below...

When it finally broke a bit and got up to freezing we felt a heat wave had
struck.

Pete