Re: [CBQ] Hinckley

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Hinckley
From: "Eddie Stavleu" <eddiestavleu@bigpond.com.au>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 12:09:22 +1000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
All the way from here in Australia
DINKY  means neat ,nice ,good place to visit
The word DINKY is not used as much as it was.

Eddie.

  Leo,

  I love your stories, keep'em coming. Your mention of dinky's is interesting,
everyone in Mt. Morris has forever called the local the "dinky".
  It would be interesting to know where the phrase came from and I have heard
people in other places use the word dinky when talking about trains local to
them.
  I am wondering if you perhaps worked the Mt. Morris job? I've had the
privilage of riding it numerous times in the past and even with the railnet
crews. Do you remember an agent here in Mt. Morris by the name of Tom Teasdale?
He lived in Oregon and worked the depot in Mt. Morris in the 50's and 60's. He
may have been the last agent to work Mt. Morris.
  At any rate, as a boy I would visit him at the depot a lot of summer days and
he tought me the code. Oh yes, I remember the lines to Oregon and some of the
poles still exist today. Tom was a great guy and he was a patient of my
dad's...dad was an optomitrist. If I was there when the dinky came to town they
would let me ride with them while they switched the Kable plant. That was a
real thrill. I can still remember the motor sitting over on the Carnation track
when not in use too.

  Jerry Stauffer
  Mt. Morris and always a "Q" fan

  qutlx1@aol.com wrote:
  Rusty,

  I was in the Hinckley depot once or twice while it was an active agency in
  the early to mid 70's. The agent at that time was a women(don't remember her
  name) and if I recall correctly she handled all agency matters between Sugar
  Grove and Shabbona at the time. Within a couple years that job was eliminated
and
  all agency work was done from Steward(again keep in mind this was over 30
  years ago). The depot then became a section (track depot) facility for
several
  more years. Direct passenger service to Hinckley would have ended when the
day
  C&I local came off. The locals folks called it the "dinky"(got this from a
  resident years ago). Without researching the timetables I can't provide the
exact
  timeframe the run came off but it would have been late 40's or early to mid
  50's. The depot was on the North side of the mainline.

  Leo