[CBQ] Slag Ballast

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Slag Ballast
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 08:26:03 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The slag ballast was also used on the mainline and the C&I and I suspect many
other places. Per the info. I have in my files it came the steel mills where
it is a waste byproduct and was therefore inexpensive.
Per my notes of conversations w/ a couple old Eola switchen(Wade Gorman and
"Bones" Mathers) the slag came into Eola in C.H.T.S.E. composite gons.for some
time. At Eola the slag was unloaded at the "slag hole trks" where it was
stockpiled and later loaded into ballast cars for work trains to distribute.
If you look in one of the Q Color Books you can see a picture of the slag
piles at that time. They're the white mountains in the background of one of the
Eola shots. The slag ballast was in place for many years under BN until they
started using the granite chips.

Leo