[CBQ] Retirement

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Retirement
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 07:42:58 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The story about JM Owens sounds very much like what happened to Bob Harding.
He too was in his 70's and given the ultimatum to retire. Not sure his was
quite as dramatic as Jims. The age rule was not from the union(though brothers
were probably anxious to move up a notch in seniority). Interesting that he was
allowed to make a lump sum withdrawal. Never heard or thought about that
option before.
At the time we're discussing it was pretty rare for a man to work past 65
though a few did. Even in the last few years here on the old Aurora division
there have been a couple(Hoover and Fick come to mind). Does anyone know if
R.P.
Temple is still working the dinkies ? I saw him last year and at  72 or 73
still punching tickets. In the bygone years it was routine for men to work as
long
as they could. 70 was often a normal retirement age. Many went well past that
point.
Today it's full retirement at 30 years and age 60 and almost noone works one
day past it. I deal with RR's across the country and it's universal almost to
a man. They know exactly how many years,months and days they need to go.
Here's a question that has come to mind; can an employee reaching age 60 with
30
years retire from one RR and go to work for another and collect both RRR and
wages ? I know this is happening on the SS side as I know a man who retired
from
UTLX at 65 or 66 and went to work next day for another related company full
time. I also know a man who is now 80 and still working full time and I believe
collecting SS.

Leo