Re: [CBQ] Retirement

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com, cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Retirement
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:17:13 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo et all..some comments about retirement...

1.  It was my understanding..even in my railroading days   (1956-78) that
mandatory retirement for engineers was 70.  Trainmen could,  as Leo has
mentioned, work..I guess as long as they could pass the physical  exam.  I've
mentioned
before that on trips I made with my Grandfather in  the 1940's out to
Sheridan Wyoming via Lincoln-Alliance-Edgemont etc.   There were several old
Conductors, I remember one whose name was Tom Campbell  who was well past 80 at
that
time...I well remember my grandfather talking with  others and telling about
how many "generations" of trainmen he had seen come and  go on that end of the
railroad between the early 1900's and that present  time...He would say "I hear
some of these guys (referring to some of the  "octogenerians" still working
saying..."Why don't that old SOB  (He  didn't say SOB, but used the complete
name) retire and give somebody else a  chance"

2.  As to a "lump sum" settlement for railroad retirement...I don't  believe
it...That's just not an option.  The RRR is an "annuity" (that's
:"insurancese" for a stream of payments).  If someone would like to prove  me
wrong I'm
open, but I've got to see "chapter and verse" to support your  opinion...not
something like'  I heard old Charley did it".

3.  As to retiring, taking your RRR and then starting to  work for another
railroad..That ain't possible either..When you take your RRR  annuity you sign
that you understand that if you are employed by any entity  covered by the RRR
Act you forfeit your RRR benefits....You can of course draw  your RRR and work
in another industry and build up SS credits.

RRR has a few different "twists" than Social Security...ie...because my  wife
continues to be employed in the same profession she was at the time that I
took my annuity she forfeits 1/2 of her "Tier 2" benefits.  If she were to
change jobs, she could draw the full Tier 2 she is entitled to under my
retirement.

So there

Pete