[CBQ] Re: Cat Job

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Cat Job
From: "tenn_central" <downeycj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 05:00:51 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, <sholding@...> wrote:

  You could always tell when the Cat Job had an extra Conductor as the
chains would be dragging on the chain down flats.  Just the thing to
pull up a switch or get caught in the frog.

I've always known that dragging cables and chains are dangerous because
they could hit a person or objects next to the train.  But until
recently I never knew they could throw a switch.  A CSX train was
passing through a yard here in western Kentucky and split a switch.
The subsequent investigation revealed that a cable hanging off a car
had snagged a switch handle and threw the switch underneath the train.
Fortunately the train was traveling about 5mph and the damage was
minimal.

Cliff Downey