Re: [CBQ] Ops in the greater Beardstown and Jacksonville IL area

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Ops in the greater Beardstown and Jacksonville IL area
From: jj dietsch <lcmtv1@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 07:46:17 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
 hauled  mainly  coal.  did  have  a  couple  merchandice   trains.

   if  u  would  like  i  will  write  more  later.      jj

Stan Maddox <stan.maddox@burlingtongulf.com> wrote:
          List,

I am a modeler seeking information on operations in the Beardstown
and Jacksonville IL area and beyond. This includes the branch from
Concord to White Hall. I'll list a few specific questions to get the
ball rolling, but I am also hoping to start a thread of memories, so
to speak. (By all means, if you think of something, please take the
thread in the direction that suits you.) I am trying to get the
specific flavor of prototype operations in the area, in order to make
some tough decisions as to what gets modeled and what gets cut. I
received a couple of helpful responses to similar questions about
Beardstown and Concord that were posted here about a year ago,
thanks. I am hoping to cover more specific ground this time around,
in preparation for another early spring research trip to the area.

Questions:

1.) What were the common traffic patterns in this area from postwar
to the BN merger?
2.) When did CB&Q cease using the Beardstown roundhouse and servicing
area?
3.) In Beardstown, there appears to be the remnants of many more
tracks between the waterfront and today's south yard, than exist
today. Was this area between the waterfront mills and today's south
yard, the original site of the yard? If so, how did these tracks
function in relation to the south yard? When was the north yard
pulled up? (Come to think of it, what is the "official" name of the
south yard?)
4.) If you are a modeler, please review the background info below. Do
you think Q operations on this this track plan will be interesting
and enjoyable to operate? What changes would you suggest?
5.) If you had to choose between modeling the Concord to White Hall
branch, or the Astoria branch and Sunspot Mine, which would you
choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your assistance, looking forward to the
discussion.

Best regards,

Stan

Background info for modelers:

I am designing an HO scale layout based on a fictitious railroad that
runs through prototype locations and their interchanges. The layout
starts at the crossing in Vermont, IL, with trains coming off staging
yards that represent points north (Bushnell, Galesburg) and northeast
(Peoria area). The main line runs compass southward past the Sunspot
mine and the old Astoria branch, down into the Illinois River valley,
through the industries and yards of Beardstown, trough Hagener and up
Arenzville Hill, through Concord, and into Jacksonville. At
Jacksonville (the showcase switching town on the layout), I am
modeling almost all of the trackage and industries in Jacksonville at
the GM&O and Wabash/N&W crossing area, at least in function if not in
full prototype capacity. On the CB&Q portion, the cannery complex
east of Jacksonville will be modeled. Points southward from there
will be modeled with staging.

The layout mainline picks up the GM&O Jack Line due south from JV
tower, joins the Air Line in Murrayville via staging, and continues
compass southward into the yard, shops and wye complex at Roodhouse.
The Jack Line to KC will be staging. The GM&O main continues
southward to White Hall, where the CB&Q branch from Concord also
comes into town. Both the CB&Q and GM&O will run into staging for
points compass south from there, with an outside shot of adding
Carrolton if I can finagle the benchwork just right.