Re: [CBQ] Short Arm Crews

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Short Arm Crews
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:04:31 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Thanks Leo

The only motor car run's I'm the least bit familiar with are.

1.  Creston-St. Joe Motor Trains...30 and 31 if memory serves
correctly..These were single unit cars, normally without a trailer...There was
only a
conductor, but...in addition to a baggage room in the car there was an  RPO
apartment.   I doubt that the RPO clerk handled baggage, express  etc, but if
there
was a baggageman  and I think there was he could have  been a trainman or a
Railway Express Agency messenger....I recall, athough I  never worked one of
them, there were jobs here on the Lincoln-Omaha Division in  the 1950's
bulletined
as Train Baggagemen.  They, I think, worked trains  like...No's 14-7..19-6
etc.
I assume that there would have been the normal uniformed Conductor and 2
brakemen in addition to this Train Baggageman job.

2.  Motor trains 15-16...Wymore-Oxford.  When we rode west on 15  summer 1954
out of Wymore the train was Motorcar 1967..all baggage and a  combination car
trailer.  The crew out of Wymore was a uniformed Conductor  and 1
brakeman...Out of Red Cloud it was a uniformed Conductor and a brakeman in
overalls but
with a dress shirt and uniform cap...Maybe would have been  a  Train Bagggeman.

Were there Train Baggagemen on the territory you are familiar with...taken
from the Brakeman's roster, but working strictly in the baggage and storage
mail  cars.

Pete