[CBQ] Short Arm Crews

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Short Arm Crews
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 10:21:02 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Pete,

Short arm freight crews here on the Chgo & Aurora Division were negotiated
and generally based on the workload of the job with the exception of trains
operating where rule 99(flagging) was critical as you state.
Some of the jobs that were one brkmn/switchmen crews were the Aurora day
switch engine,( but not the 4PM or Midnight job) The "Moonlight Job" that ran
between Mendota and East Moline/Barstow depending on the time frame and the
Oregon
- Mt Morris Job.
The job that had to be one of the most unique on the entire division was also
a short arm crew. The Sterling to Serena via Paw Paw / Shabbona and return
motor car. In the BRT files is the time study of the job during the 30's. It is
enlightening to read the detail of work performed by this job. The study
literally counts not only the number of passengers on/off at each station but
also
the number of sacks of mail, company material, loaves of bread, cans of milk
and cream,etc,etc,etc.
I don't have the files here with me now but I believe several of the other
motor cars on the division were also short armed crews.

Leo