[CBQ] Illinois Midland

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Illinois Midland
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 19:17:02 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I've started digging.
Please refer to B.B. #6 back cover.There's a photo of a Q steam excursion
doing a runby at Millington,IL. On the backtrack are both units of the Illinois
Midland as of 10/59. The footnote states the Whitcomb lasted 5 years so that
means the line lasted until at least 1964.
A few months back the local weekly newspaper(Kendal County Record) ran an
article on the Illinois Midland so I'll go to their office for a back issue.
Also the long gone Aurora Savings and Loan ran local history articles by
Vernon Derry and he wrote one on the Illinois Midland. Another source to check.
have become friends with an employee of the Geneva,IL Historical Center who's
specialty is local history so I'll check with him also.
My 1922 Kendall County Atlas shows the Midland and the Fox and Illinois
Union(which connected with the Q Fox River branch here at Yorkville).

Gerald, I remember the Lee County Central well as I used to catch the
Rockfalls W/F from the list and left d cars on their line at Amboy. Remember
their
engine coming into town as we left.
Was in Amboy last year for a wrestling meet.Went looking for both the Q and
IC ROW's. Let's just say you need to know where to look to find any sign other
than the museum property until you get outside of town.

Leo