[CBQ] re: BRHS publications

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] re: BRHS publications
From: "Gerald A. Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 05:12:16 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Our biggest limitation (and always has been) was alluded to by
several posters - lack of material.  Hol can do wonders with a rough
manuscript and a few pics as he can tap into various mbr's
collections to flesh it out.  Jim with the Zephyr does shorter
articles and more model oriented but again it's up to the 1500 mbrs
to provide material.  BRHS tends to have more armchair fans &
modelers than other RR His. Soc's.  Nothing wrong with that (dues
are dues) but the % of BRHS mbrs who share their knowledge,
collections and photos for publication is less than say C&NWHS.  If
someone has great modeling or historical acticles/drwgs/photos then
by all means let Hol &/or Jim know.  The BB has been used for 1 & 2
pp articles to fill in with the major subjects and of course the
Zephyr is dominated by 'short' articles.  I.E. you do not have to be
capable of doing an entire book like Al Holck or Mike Spoor.
This discussion has been going in since shortly after our inception
in 1976.  LOTS of interest in the Burlington but a shortage of mbrs
able or willing to supply material for print.
So don't be shy - the 'magic' of having Hol as BB Editor is that he
does the same for a living with a commercial trade journal - he can
make diamonds from coal so give him a try.  Jim is always looking
for material too - even a snapshot or 2 lines of prose can complete
a Q/A.  So now that winter approaches and you have some hobby time,
put some things together & submit them or at least share a photo or
bit of knowledge for works in progress.  YOU will glad you did as
will all your fellow mbrs.   Gerald