[CBQ] Re: Q Power Cars (was Chicago Union Station)

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Q Power Cars (was Chicago Union Station)
From: Jerry Appleman <jerryapp@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 07:33:18
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
In [CBQ] Digest Number 2917, Bill Barber <clipperw@EarthLink.net> wrote:

>>From the arrival of the first gallery car until the BN rebuilt the
>E-8/9s with headend power in the '70s, the suburban trains required
>external electrical power for lighting and air conditioning. To meet
>that need, Q rebuilt a series of heavyweight 6100 series coaches into
>power cars. Some were all coach while others had a small baggage
>section, used to handle baggage and delivery of the local Chicago
>newspapers to the suburban towns. In the power compartment was a
>diesel engine and generator set which supplied power to the train.
>These cars rode on six wheel trucks, were air conditioned, had round
>as opposed to clerstory (sp?) roofs, had new sealed widows and were
>painted silver. Every train over two cars had one at one end or the
>other. It was usually the "smoker" car although, in those days, there
>were more "smoking" cars in the train. A few of these power cars have
>survived in museums.

Bill (and group),

I seem to remember that there were some power cars that were painted in
the tan, green and gold paint scheme and had clerestory roofs.  They
were mainly used in solid trainds of the old commuter cars, though they
may have also been used with trains that were mixed old and gallery cars.
I seem to remember that the power cars were (almost?) always at the west
end of the train.  The gold 5632 suburban anniversary special had a
power car at each end of the consist, and this is the only time that I
remember seeing a power car on the east end of the train.  On 5632 or
4960 fan trips using suburban cars, where the locomotive, but not the
train was wyed, the power car would have been on the rear on return.
This would still be the west end; but if the whole train was wyed, the
power car would have ended up on the east end.  This was somewthing that
I never really paid attention to when I rode the trips.

                                          ...  best, Jerry Appleman