[CBQ] Re: Galesburg Icehouse

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Galesburg Icehouse
From: "georgeshannon2003" <georgeshannon@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:14:58 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Well, since I see no other replies, let me tell what little about
the Galesburg Icehouse that I know.

I was born in 1954 and my father took me to visit Grandpa working at
the icing platform several times during what must have been my first
six years. I would go up onto the icing platform and every now and
then a piece of ice would come by that was small enough to fit in my
hand so Grandpa would give it to me. I remember it being on tall
creosote piers with a long stairway leading up to the platform. The
men would move the ice from the platform to fill bunkers in the cars
below.

There were long lines of old steam locomotives sitting idle and when
I asked what they were doing just sitting there, Granpa stated they
were waiting to go to the scrap yard. I thought that was so sad.
They were magnificent beasts.

Hope this helps and wasn't just a nostalgic waste of time,

George