Re: [CBQ] 1956 Denver Zephyr

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 1956 Denver Zephyr
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 07:05:06 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
  Loren

  When I saw and/or rode the train when it was in 2 sections, the regular DZ
dome parlor-obs always tailed the Pullman section.  The times I saw it, the
coach section did not have an obs.  Generally, the train was split into front
half and rear half.  In December of 1966, when I rode it, the train was split
in front of the Chuckwagon, leaving all three regularly-assigned domes in the
"Pullman" section, which also included both slumbercoaches and the Colorado
Springs dome coach.

  On the December 31, 1966 edition of #1, the diner on the "Pullman" section
was the Silver Chef whereas that on the coach section was the Silver Feast.  I
always have thought it was neat that they stood across from each other on the
platform at Chicago Union Station with the "preparer" on the right and that
"prepared" on the left.

  I did see the extra CZ observation, the Silver Lookout, on the number #1 I
returned to Denver on in August of 1967.  It was running backward at the front
of the train and was used as the front-end lounge car.

  sjl

Aeolus3@aol.com wrote:
          When the Burlington ran the Denver Zephyr in sections, coach and
Pullman. Did
they use the one "extra" CZ observation on the Pullman Section?

Loren Johnson