[CBQ] Possible CB&Q Flat Car in Butte, MT

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Possible CB&Q Flat Car in Butte, MT
From: "Tom Mack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 01:31:07 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I have created a new album in the photos section named "Tom Mack
Photos". In it you will find two photos of a white BN MOW flatcar
numbered 961228 I photographed it last week in Butte, MT. I was
actually able to get up next to the car and found that the trucks were
stamped CB&Q. The car was stencilled as being built in 1961. The car
has 19 stake pockets, so it is not a CB&Q FM-3. It looks like a close
match to the GN Thrall FMX flats in the 161000-161299 series but the
trucks were definitely stamped CB&Q. Unfortunately, I was politely
asked to leave by a BNSF employee before I could get any close up
shots or measurements. (Honestly, in my defense, I looked for a "No
Trespassing" sign or BNSF sign on my way out and could find none. The
car is next to the BN yard but on a totally separate team track, and
safely in the clear on all sides, so I was "hoping" it might have been
on public access or at least non-BNSF property. Oh well.)

Anyway, can anyone confirm the history of this car? I have cross-refs
for the boxcars/reefers/hoppers into BN but not the flats.

Also, though not CB&Q there are two other cars of interest in a
scrapyard in Butte. One is a GN boxcar still in GN paint (retired in
1972). The other is a BN painted insulated boxcar of NP heritage. I
didn't go into the scrapyard but you can see them and read the info
fine from the public side of the fence they are next to.

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH