[CBQ] Re: CBQZ Containers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CBQZ Containers
From: Ed DeRouin <Ed@pixelspublishing.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:46:01 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Paul and Others:

It has taken a week or so for me to find time to dig, but I did. Here
is what I can contribute:

 From the Jan 1, 1969 CB&Q Age, Ownership, and Condition book:

Flexi-van cars 96000-96024, 25 cars, 70 ton capacity, built 1968,
condition is good, 87' 3'' long, 8' 8 1/8" wide. Equipped with
turntables and king pin receivers for hauling two Flexi-van 40 foot
containers. Steam lines and SKF roller bearings. Purchased from Maxon
Corp.

202000-202049, 50 containers - 39' 6 5/8" Flexi-van containers, built
1968, Good condition. Built by Strick,

Now for the curious part!

NYC purchased FVs starting in 1959 to replace aging cars used for
mail and express. Milwaukee and IC did the same in 1962 or so. The Q
bought their cars and containers six years alter - after the mail
trains had been discontinued. I have no record of Q FVs used in mail
service. The AO&C report makes no reference to the containers having
refrigeration equipment, so I highly doubt that the cars were used to
move meat or packing house products (PHP).  Until we can dig deeper,
their purpose remains unknown. Anything else is purely speculation.

The shots of the cars near Chicago Union Station are at Taylor
Street, where the cars were stored out of service. This is the same
area where the Nebraska Zephyr trainsets were stored.

Regards,

Ed DeRouin