Re: [CBQ] Burlington Budd built Vista Domes

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Burlington Budd built Vista Domes
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 12:30:47 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I also go with interior arrangement of the car, though it must be realized
that, at least until the girder cars, much of the strength of the car was
derived from the roof, particularly the purlins (the two thick longitudinal
ribs on the roof).   Thus, the dome's structure had to compensate for the
interruption in this critical support system.  I believe the dome's glass
panels themselves were part of the structural support system.  I don't know
whether placing the dome closer to one of the ends would have any effect on the
ease of compensating for the disrupted purlin support.

  sjl

Aeolus3@aol.com wrote:
          This question came up this past weekend at a show The Little Q Model
Railroad
Club did out at Blackberry Farm in Aurora IL. Is there a reason why the domes
are offset and not centered in the car? Is it structural? Or is it perhaps
for an interior arrangement of the car?

I go with the interior arrangement of the car.

Loren Johnson