[CBQ] Plymouth narrow gauge diesels

To: <CBQ@YahooGroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Plymouth narrow gauge diesels
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 19:23:27 +1200
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I asked about a possible quarry at South Bend, Nebraska, a week or so ago.  The
reason was the following information that I received from Richard Townsend.

The locomotives probably were for ballast quarry service. It might be worth
asking the CBQ list if the Q had a ballast quarry at South Bend, Nebraska.

Plymouth builders No. 2926, described as a Type 6 Model DL 7-ton Plymouth gear
drive, gasoline locomotive for 36" gauge track, equipped with a Buda BTU
engine, Leece-Neville 12-volt electric starting and lighting system, electric
horn, and United air cleaner on carburettor. Price $3,000.00. Shipped on an
unknown date (ordered May 26, 1928) (possibly shipped on June 4, 1928) in car
no. B&O 194039. It was shipped to South Bend Quarry, Nebraska.

Plymouth Builders no. 2406, described as a Type 6, Model DL 7-ton Plymouth gear
drive, gasoline locomotive, for 36" gauge track, equipped with a Buda BTU
engine, Bosch 6-volt electrical system, electric horn, and United air cleaner
on carburettor. Price $3,000.00. Shipped (August 26, 1926?) in Car. no. B&O
199783 to South Bend, Nebraska.

I have a copy of an old Plymouth sales brochure that shows a standard (i.e. not
customized) Model DL, 7-ton engine. It also gives a variety of specs for
various items in the locomotive, including the Buda engine. The engine is a
"vertical, L-head, 4 cylinder, 5" bore, 6 1/2" stroke engine of 60 maximum
horsepower. 510.5 cubic inch displacement.

The wheelbase is 45 1/8 inches, length overall is 144 inches. A Type 6 has an
overall height of 84 inches., width is 63 1/4 inches.

Type 6 seems to mean a normal cab. Type 2 seems to mean a short cab (72" in a
DL). A Type 4 had no cab.

And that's all the info I have. I thought it was pretty neat to be able to know
what cars the locomotives were delivered on.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

If you can add any details about the Plymouths or the possible quarry, I'd be
grateful to hear about it.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM