Re: [CBQ] Motive Power-Consist for the CZ

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Motive Power-Consist for the CZ
From: railbass@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 11:57:53 +0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The WP power for the CZ was originally an A-B-B set of F3s, of which Athearn
Genesis has a beautiful model.   I have one.   This was followed by an A-B-B
set of FP7s.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO

From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>

> That is, Western Pacific F's in ABA formation. Sorry this was not clear.
>
> sjl
>
> "Stephen J. Levine" wrote:
> Check Karl Zimmerman's California Zephyr book for one photo of ABA F's
> leading
> the CZ. I have seen other photos as well from time to time.
>
> sjl
>
> Aeolus3@aol.com wrote:
> Now remember when using the first generation power for the CZ the consist had
> some minor changes.
>
> For example in 1949 the CZ carried the 16 section Pullman and 1 10-6 Pullman
> between the dome-dorm-buffet and the dinning car. This was only in the first
> summer of operation, the Pullman passengers were going forward to use the
> buffet dome for drink service. Now the dome in that car was reserved for
> Pullman
> passengers. In the fall of 1949 the CZ operators moved the dinning car behind
> the dome-dorm.
>
> The DRG&W PA's in the black and gold paint only lasted a short time in CZ
> operation. I always thought that was the best looking Rio Grande power on the
> CZ.
>
> The WP added two ABA sets of FP7 F7B FP7, although I don't ever recall seeing
> that ABA set in service on the CZ. Perhaps it did happen but again I've never
> seen a photo.
>
> Now the two other changes in consist would be the adding of the 6-5 Pullmans
> one to each train set. This happened in 1952. The other change was dropping
> the through Pullman in 1958. So if you have 10-6 Pullman Silver Rapids the
> PRR
> car, don't put red nose stripped E's on the CZ....... the red first appeared
> in 1959.
>
> Of course at almost anytime other cars appeared in the consist. Pullman
> Standard Rio Grande coaches, Burlington pre war Budds, and almost any
> railroad's
> 10-6 Pullmans. Sometimes it would be an odd Pullman being used as the through
> Pullman or perhaps a tour group.
>
> Also we can't forget the 16 Section Pullman cars, the sections were removed,
> and 48 seats replacing the sections. This was done with no changes to the
> outside of the cars.
>
> But over the years, the CZ consist remained pretty much the same only with
> traffic patterns changing the length of the train.
>
> Have fun with the CZ! The California Zephyr was a special train. It was a fun
> family train, relaxed in operation. And remember on one ever died on the CZ
> although one child was born aboard the train!
>
> Loren Johnson

> Model railroad train Business finances Railway Personal property
> Railroad

> Yahoo! Groups Links

You can search right from your browser? It¿s easy and it¿s free.  See how.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM