Re: [CBQ] Power units for the California Zephyr?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Power units for the California Zephyr?
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:38:39 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Somebody more detail oriented than me can fill in the particulars, but  there
were several sets of F units bought specially for the CZ...they were in  the
number series  9960 something..ABCD.

I remember these in particular since I caught a troop train summer 1956  with
the 9962C in the lead..Later when I went to write about that adventure, the
number didn't sound right to me, so I sought counsel from those more
knowledgable than me and discovered "the rest of the story"...Anyhow these
units  were
bought particularly for the CZ and ran for several years until they were
replaced by E's...They were later painted into "Freight" colors, but the 9962C
was still in its passenger dress that hot summer night in 1956 when we ran as
"First 43"  complete with green flags and class lights   Lincoln  to Ravenna.

Pete