Re: [CBQ] Ravenna, NE more and more

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Ravenna, NE more and more
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:07:47 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dale

Do you have Al Holck's book HUB OF BURLINGTON LINES WEST and/or South  Platte
Press's book on the Alliance Division..Can't recall the name and I'd have  to
walk downstairs to get it...getting really lazy in my old age...There are
some good photos in those books.  I especially enjoyed the story by a  fireman
of his trip from Ravenna to Alliance during one of the blizzards of  early 1949.

I had forgotten about THE BIG ONION..probably ate there a few times..Don't
remember the other place.

Did you ever know an old Q Conductor Eph Stewart..He was a friend of my
grandfather's and lived at Ravenna...After much cajoling and threats by my GF
and
Dad I went over to see him once when I was working the Ravenna  switcher.
Had a good afternoon's visit with him..He was quite elderly then  (1956), but
he
might have still been in service when you were around  there.

Speaking of telegraphers...There was a younger operator there whose name  was
Archer..He, I think was off the extra board, but worked second trick at
Ravenna..He, apparently was a very poor telegrapher...I heard a guy say of him
once..."The only thing Arch can say with the key is FN....(get on the  phone)

Pete