[CBQ] Re: Review of Golden Gate Depot Heavyweight Coaches

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Review of Golden Gate Depot Heavyweight Coaches
From: "cbq_bill" <cbq_bill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 05:14:24 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

Williams Electric Trains only makes 3-rail O-gauge items.  Their
heavyweight passenger cars are available in 15" (60') and 18" (70')
sizes.  They have black roofs, underbodies, & trucks with Pullman
green bodies with gold ribbon style Burlington lettering.  There are
non-prototypical (for the CB&Q) single gold stripes both above and
below the windows.  Instead of detailed interiors, the lighted cars
have black "passenger silhouettes".  The non-prototypical car
numbers are actually Williams item number for each car. A baggage
car, combination baggage/coach, two coaches, diner, and an
observation car are available in each size.  (I use a BR logo hat
pin as a drumhead on the observation car.)  These cars are ~$60
each. They are made from Williams generic heavyweight tooling. In 3-
rail O-gauge, manufacturers usually use generic tooling without any
customization for specific roadnames (they want to spread the
tooling costs over many roadnames).

The Golden Gate Depot cars may end up being more prototypical than
the Williams cars.  3RD Rail markets to 2-rail O-scale and the scale
hi-rail segment of 3-rail O-gauge.  Although Williams is very rooted
in the toy train segment of 3-rail O-gauge, they do make a few very
decent items that work well in high-rail.

Hopefully someone will offer CB&Q heavyweight cars in N-scale and
all of the other scales.

Thanks,

Bill

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "j_bonkowski" <jbonkowski@...> wrote:

> --- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "cbq_bill" <cbq_bill@> wrote:
>
> > To my knowledge, Williams Electric Trains is the only other
> > manufacturer to have produced O-gauge CB&Q heavyweights in the
Pullman