Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Stock Cars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Stock Cars
From: <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 00:28:48 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Paul,
The only stock cars that are a good match for the Q are the resin kits from
Sunshine, the Mather cars from Proto 2000 and a brass car from Oriental(???).
The Sunshine kit is a great choice as all the research is done. Martin Lofton
provides you with excellent correct castings, correct decals and all the
prototype info you would need to build a museum quality car. The brass car was
too expensive and only one would not be typical of a Q stock train. The Mather
car would be good for the 60s as they were acquired late even though they were
an older design. Hence the Chinese Red paint. Hundaman did a multipart article
in Mainline Modeler on scratchbuilding a steam era car in styrene.
A good candidate for a typical Q train would be the Central Valley NP stock
car. Photos in some of the spoor or Holck books show several of these in the
consist that would help flesh out a proper train. This is a well designed kit,
that as is makes a great model. With the addition of wire grabs and KD #78
scale draft gear couplers  an excellent model can be made. I've built 3 and
they just get better each time, the dies were cut in the 80s and they still
hold up.
The least amount of skill and work would be the Mather and some can be found
preassembled, however some of these have Red trucks. with some work the grabs
on this car can be changed out with wire parts to make a better looking more
durable model. Second would be the NP car and I should mention that Decals were
available from A Line & Champ.
As far as availability...Release the hounds, let the hunt begin.
Sincerely,
Rob Manley
Midwest Mod-U-Trak

"When building kits is a lost art,
Only lost artists will be building kits !!"