[CBQ] BWL modified 2-8-2

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] BWL modified 2-8-2
From: "trainboy.geo" <tczephyr@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 00:04:41 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Someone on the list asked what I did to my BWL 2-8-2 to make it
appear to belong to the Q family of O-4's - I misplaced that email.

If anyone is interested, a photo of my model appears in the BRHS web
site. Go to "Photo gallery" and click on "Public". From there go
to "Album: Model Railroad". There are 2 photos of my engine inside,
on the first page. If you click on the photos, you will see the
larger version.

I removed the boiler from the frame and removed the front mounted
generator. I also removed the stock air pump (left side) and
installed a Cal-Scale air pump. I added the Cal-Scale Elesco
feedwater heater and piping set to the front of the smoke box. I
then added a new bell and generator, Cal-Scale. Installed an
engineer and fireman and I was done with the engine.

The tender turned out to be even simpler. My friend, Bill Glick, had
a spare brass oil bunker that made many many years ago but didn't
use. He gave it to me and it was a perfect fit, just had to do some
cutting the tenders coal bunker to fit it on. Sprayed it black and I
was done.

I then weathered the engine and tender to show some road grim and
there you have it.

It's not a perfect match to the Q's O-4, but it sure is close, just
don't count the rivets!

I plan to do one with the Worthington feedwater heater but this time
will have to fabricate the oil bunker out of plastic.

If anyone has more questions, or would like to see other photos of
the BLW modification as it was in progress, let me know off line.

Ray Bedard
San Jose CA