Re: [CBQ] Express Service Questions

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Express Service Questions
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 01:01:15 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
#3, the Ark-Sar-Ben Zephyr carried a lot of different express cars
from time to time - NYC baggage cars, PRR X29's, PRR b60 variants (so
the Walthers baggage car would work), NYC converted troop cars,  REA
express reefers, etc.   And of course, the Fast Mail carried these
plus all sorts of Harriman (SP & UP) variants, so the Souther Car &
Foundry cars would work well.  Throw in the typical BA-19 and several
other types of Q cars, including Jeeps, converted RPO's, RPO's, the
rider baggage cars, etc.

Mostly on the Chicago - Omaha line for mail, then to Denver with
express (newspapers, catalogs, etc.)  The CZ habitually had 2-3
BA-19's or even HW baggage cars several times a week after the
Coloradoan was killed.

During the seasonal rush for Christmas, a lot more cars would be
lined up.  The mail contracts basically ended 67-68, but the CZ was
still hauling express.  There were some plants along the line in Iowa
that were also sending express.  Most of it though is East-West
because other roads had the N-S or E-SW runs (GM&O to St. Louis, ATSF
to KC, etc.)

After 68,lower priority mail would be hauled in freights (typically)
due to the huge rate change,  Though, some roads still hauled it in
passenger trains, not many did.  The killing of and changing of mail
contracts basically dealt the deathblow to many trains.

In the consist sheets the BRHS put out, there are consists for the
Fast Mail & Ark-Sar-Ben.  I have consists of the CZ with the extra
cars.    The DZ did carry express (magazines) in (at least) '66 in
Ba-19's (typically) Cicero-Denver.  I have a couple of those consists as well.

At 12:10 AM 1/27/2006, you wrote:
>Thanks, Ed.  Much appreciated.  I'm looking forward to your book and
>wish you the best of luck with it.
>
>Quickly anyone, would other roads express cars be on a 'Q' train and
>what passenger trains did the Burlington carry express cars in
>pre-merger, late 1960's.
>
>"Paul (Kossart) - The CB&Q Guy"

Bob Webber