Re: [CBQ] National Car Co.

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] National Car Co.
From: "Ken T." <KTHOMPSON4@wi.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 13:23:28 -0800
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert,

The BRMX cars were lettered right into the "BNFE "series of cars in the
early 70's.  They received BNFE reporting marks, but kepth their original
numbers.  My Jan. 30, 1974 lists these mechancal reefers in the BNFE series
5100 to 5149 as having 48 cars in the series and are shown as being RPM's.
5150 to 5199 as RPL's with moveable bulkheads with 50 cars in the series.
5200 to 5299 as RPM's with 93 cars in the series.
5300 to 5399 as RPL's with moveable bulkheads with 93 cars in the series.

Cars with BRCX, BREX, MNX, RBBX, RBWX, WFBX, WFCX, WFEX, WFMX, WHIX and WOBX
are all under WESTERN FRUIT EXPRESS COMPANY ownership at the time the above
ORER was published.

In the MNX series it shows 132 cars still in service in number series 2114
to 2443.  These cars are classified as AAR Mech. Designation "RSM" or bunker
refrigerator, similar to "RS" but equipped with beef rails.

This is a timely thread for me as I model the BN Peoria Sub. in 1974.  I
have a couple of MNX bunker reefers in my roster and was wondering if they
should have been retired by that time or not since they had been meat
service cars.  I'd also like to know if the meat rails were removed when put
into service hauling "spuds".  I hope Lenny can answer that for us.

As I recall, Lenny once told me that he saw some of these ice bunker reefers
passing through Peoria on their way to eastern points when he filled in for
the regular WFE agent when that person would be on vacation, so perhaps I'm
justified in running some of those old MNX cars in potatoe service.

Ken Thompson