[CBQ] Re: Roof color on simplified Chinese Red boxcar repaints

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Roof color on simplified Chinese Red boxcar repaints
From: "Mark Heiden" <mark_heiden@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 15:19:13 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the information.  I'm using Red Caboose 8600, 40ft ACF
boxcar with 6ft door and riveted sides, for this model.  The kit
includes 8-rung ladders.  The side ladders look right, but the end
ladders are slightly wider at the bottom two rungs than at the top.
I used these without giving it a thought, but if I were to do it
over I'd replace these with the ladders used on the sides.

Thanks again,
Mark Heiden

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, <robev1630@s...> wrote:

> Mark,
> I've uploaded 3 images I found on the net. When enlarged in
Photoshop the roofs seem to be showing Red on the vertical planes of
the ribs and galvanized coating on the flat panels. The newer paint
jobs are harder to discern than the older shot.

> When you model this try to use a hint of flat Aluminum in a lt
gray mix. Bright silver roofs just look too toylike to me. I like to
take it down a few notches and show some weathering. If you go too
rusty it might be parked on a siding on the southeast side of
Chicago waiting for Metron Steel's tprch.

> What kit are you using for this car?? I think Branchline is the
only manufacturer that has the distinctive Q 8 rung ladders.

> Sincerely,
> Rob Manley
> Midwest Mod-U-Trak
>
> "When building kits is a lost art,
> Only lost artists will be building kits !!"

Guide by