[CBQ] Re: Oldest ex-Q diesel still "working"

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Oldest ex-Q diesel still "working"
From: "georgeshannon2003" <georgeshannon@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 14:19:00 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I recognized this engine number and dug up a picture I had of it
before it was painted green. The picture was taken at LaCross
Wisconsin September 6, 1971 by James Watson. I posted it next to
Tom's posted picture for easy comparison.

Enjoy and happy holidays,
George Shannon

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mack" <thommack@y...> wrote:

> I think I may have found the oldest CB&Q diesel still working on a
> daily basis! It is CB&Q 9149, which became BN 93, then IBS Scrap
#1 in
> Peoria, IL. It is now Joseph Behr & Sons scrap (they took over
IBS).
> She was bult in February, 1941, still rides on friction bearing
> trucks, still has "93" in her number boards, and switches the scrap
> yard daily - and her future looks good - no plans to get rid of
her soon.

> Unfortunately, her older sister, #2, ex BN 89, nee CB&Q 9144 built
> 5-40 was cannabalized then scrapped about 5-6 years ago. Story I
was
> told is that a RR came in and did a bunch of track work at the
scrap
> yard, and instead of payment was allowed to strip #2 of usable
parts
> to feed their locomotive fleet. The remaining hulk was then
scrapped
> on site.
>
> I will post a photo of #1.
>
> Also, I went looking for another ex-CB&Q locomotive while in the
> Peoria area. According to my Comprehensive Guide to Industrial
> Locomotives 2nd edition, American Milling Company in Pekin, IL has
an
> SW-1200 #232 which is ex BN 232, nee CB&Q 9274. I searched all over
> Pekin for American Milling and could not find a plant. There are
> several large plants in town that have heavy rail service, but the
> Tazewell and Peoria (formerly Peoria & Pekin Union) was the only
> railroad I found switching these plants. Anyone know where this
plant
> might be and if the ex-9274 might still be around?
>
> Tom Mack
> Cincinnati, OH

Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy).
http://us.click.yahoo.com/F9LvrA/dlQLAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM