[CBQ] Oldest ex-Q diesel still "working"

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Oldest ex-Q diesel still "working"
From: "Tom Mack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:12:40 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I think I may have found the oldest CB&Q diesel still working on a
daily basis! It is CB&Q 9149, which became BN 93, then IBS Scrap #1 in
Peoria, IL. It is now Joseph Behr & Sons scrap (they took over IBS).
She was bult in February, 1941, still rides on friction bearing
trucks, still has "93" in her number boards, and switches the scrap
yard daily - and her future looks good - no plans to get rid of her soon.

Unfortunately, her older sister, #2, ex BN 89, nee CB&Q 9144 built
5-40 was cannabalized then scrapped about 5-6 years ago. Story I was
told is that a RR came in and did a bunch of track work at the scrap
yard, and instead of payment was allowed to strip #2 of usable parts
to feed their locomotive fleet. The remaining hulk was then scrapped
on site.

I will post a photo of #1.

Also, I went looking for another ex-CB&Q locomotive while in the
Peoria area. According to my Comprehensive Guide to Industrial
Locomotives 2nd edition, American Milling Company in Pekin, IL has an
SW-1200 #232 which is ex BN 232, nee CB&Q 9274. I searched all over
Pekin for American Milling and could not find a plant. There are
several large plants in town that have heavy rail service, but the
Tazewell and Peoria (formerly Peoria & Pekin Union) was the only
railroad I found switching these plants. Anyone know where this plant
might be and if the ex-9274 might still be around?

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

$15 provides a child with safe, clean water. Your gift can make a difference.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vp8GxB/icGMAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM