Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2602

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2602
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 14:51:43 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Denny,

In further comment concerning the tapered roofs on passenger diesel
power, Rock Island, in addition to the four E3-A units mentioned by
Phil, had six earlier TA model locomotives which had tapered roof lines
at the rear of the unit. The TAs were 4 axle locomotives with a 16
cylinder Winton engine rated at 1200 hp and looked somewhat like an
early E unit. Ironically, the tapered rear roof really didn't match
most of the Rock's cars very well except for some of their original
Rocket equipment. As Phil notes, the E6 locomotives that came next on
the Rock had standard straight roof lines. The six TAs were unique to
the Rock Island.

On the Q, instead of tapered locomotive roofs, the articulated second
Twin Cities Zephyr and the first Denver Zephyr  had a "transition" car
in the lead. Their roof lines rose at the front end to match the height
of the diesel locomotive (or streamlined steam for that matter).

Bill Barber

On Saturday, December 3, 2005, at 10:30  AM, CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:

>    Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:19:40 -0600
>    From: "Philip Weibler" <pawnbaw@sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: E5B roofline
>
> Hello, Denny - I have a broadside photo of FW&D 9980B 'Silver Warrior'
> taken at Amarillo, Texas, in earlly 1963 - it shows the roofline to be
> straight from end to end.  Your memory is OK - Rock Island E3s had the
> tucked down roof, but the E6s had a straight roof line.  The E5s were
> right in the middle of all this.   Philip A. Weibler

Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy).
http://us.click.yahoo.com/F9LvrA/dlQLAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM