[CBQ] Recent Zephyr Books

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Recent Zephyr Books
From: "Myers, Scott V." <svmyers@southernco.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:06:31 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
We have been blessed (or is it cursed for those of us without unlimited
resources) with a number of recent books dealing with the topic of
Zephyrs.  There have been a number of postings this year regarding
announcements for these publications, and I am interested in folks'
opinions regarding these books.  I am considering which to buy among the
books Burlington Route - Postwar Zephyrs by Doughty, Burlington Zephyrs
- Train Tech Series by Souter, Burlington Zephyr Photo Archive, and
Burlington Route Streamlined Observation Cars.  I have to assume there
is a fair amount of duplication between these books and the similar
books that I already own (Burlington's Zephyrs, The Early Zephyrs, Of
Zephyrs and Commuters, and The Passenger Car Library Vol.1 CB&Q).  I
think this is all the recent Zephyr/Streamlined Passenger Car related
books.

As I say, it is difficult to tell what is covered in these various
publications (perhaps someone knows a source of book reviews for them),
so I am hoping some of you who own them or are familiar with them can
offer some advice.

I do have a printed copy of a posting to the group from back in April of
Hol Wagner's comments on Burlington Route Streamlined Observation Cars
where he mentions a number of "miscues" in the earlier Santa Fe version
of the book and expresses hopes that the same errors will not occur in
the CB&Q book.  Did his concerns prove to be valid or did the book turn
out to be relatively free of errors?

Scott Myers

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM