[CBQ] Re: BLI & P2K SW7 question

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: BLI & P2K SW7 question
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:51:31 -0800
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Once the Q started using Scotchlite? diagonal safety striping in the early
1960s, they made the original red/yellow stripes along the side of the
walkway much thinner and placed them above the Scotchlite, with the yellow
on top. Before that, however, all the EMD switchers (as well as the ALCOs,
Porter, Whitcomb, Midwest, and GEs), had the red stripe on top. If BLI's
walkway has only the red and yellow bars (i.e., with no Scotchlite
stripes), and the yellow is on top, then it sounds like they got it wrong.
You have two choices to correct it: (1) you can re-stripe the walkway on
the SW7, using paint or decal strips; or (2) you can remove most of the
SW-7 (keeping only the stripes, kind of like the smile on Lewis Caroll's
Cheshire Cat) and drop in a VO-1000 between the stripes -- the Baldwin
engines being the only ones that really did have the yellow on top.

Jonathan

---------
A question from another group:
I picked up a CB&Q BLI SW7 last week - nice runner, as usual.
However, when I placed it in consist with a P2K SW1200 I noticed that
the red/yellow stripe on the walkway side was different on each loco
with the BLI loco yellow over red and the P2K one yellow over red.

A glance at Fallen Flags would suggest that the correct stripes are
yellow-over-red. Unfortunately, the only pic of an SW7 doesnt have
the stripes.

Has BLI got it slightly wrong again, or were there examples of yellow-
over-red? I must admit I didn't even notice the difference until I
had both together.

Thanks,

Jon
Modelling HO in the UK