[CBQ] Re: Wabash Prairie

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Wabash Prairie
From: "captmix" <tamix@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:06:14 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John?.I have scratch built that CB&Q 2-10-4 (original version) and am
now building an R-4 2-6-2. Both to Proto 48. I have studied that
drawing in Mainline of the Wabash 2-6-2. There are a few differences
between the Burlington R-5 and the Wabash version. These are minor and
probably would not be noticeable on a generic model. Part of the fun
in scratch building is the research of a particular project that, kind
of, becomes a sub-hobby!

Tom Mix
Monument, Colorado

-- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, railbass@c... wrote:

> I recently received a copy of the new Hundman Publishing The
Locomotive Cyclopedia, Volume II.   This, and volume I, are generic
collections of a wide range of steam locomotives, but the drawings and
photos are quite good.   Volume I has an excellent section on the CB&Q
M-4a 2-10-4.

> In Volume II is a piece on Wabash G-1 2-6-2's, noting that 2-6-2's
around the country were "plug ugly."   It also mentions that the
Wabash loco was identical to the CB&Q R-5s.   The Wabash 2-6-2's were
built by Baldwin in 1906 and Rogers in 1907.   The CB&Q R-5's were
built by Baldwin in 1906 and Brooks in 1906 and 1907.   Could the
drawings of the Wabash G-1 be used to scratchbuild or kitbash R-5's?
 Most of all, could we convince Walthers Life-Like or Bachmann to
model a 2-6-2 for CB&Q, Wabash, and possibly other roads, such as
AT&SF and Milwaukee?   I realize that this is a unique engine, but it
is quite small, and a number lasted into the late 1940s and early
1950s on the Q.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM