[CBQ] Re: CZ car selections from BLI upcoming cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CZ car selections from BLI upcoming cars
From: "Allan" <allan@californiazephyr.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:33:48 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "vector_one75" <vector_one75@h...> wrote:

> I guess what I'm trying to figure out whether a still untampered-with
> consist of a CZ model can be assembled with a prototypical consist of
> TYPES of cars (not necessarily the NUMBER of each type) to represent
> a model as if such a "reconstituted" prototype CZ for (an admittedly
> freelance) contemporary "cruise"-type service on a layout. By the
> way, I would consider the "normal", conductor's office, and women's
> car dome-coaches as being of separate dome-coach types, so I do need
> 3 dome -coaches, and I'd wish also to exlude those 10-6's, dome, and
> other cars which had been in original Auto-Train, Alaskan service,
> Algoma Central, or other railroads (though I'd include tourist and
> museum operations in the context for my purposes) from the CZ model
> I'd be looking at.

I think I understand what it is you're getting at. Forgive me if I'm
misunderstanding. You'll
have a hard time finding "un-touched" cars considering how old they are.  This
is true of
the CZ in general. Narrowing it down to those offered by BLI makes it even more
of a task.

Using just those on the BLI list, here is a list of those cars that still
exist, to the best of my
knowledge. (I know you've excluded some of these, but I've included them here
for
reference):
10-6's - These have not fared well in general.
- Silver Rapids: Still in great shape, but it was an Amtrak car, and as you've
mentioned, has
been modified some for charter use, as well as practical reasons (toilets in
the roomettes
have been removed, etc.)
Baggage - Doing well for themselves considering their utilitarian nature. Maybe
that's
helped them.
- Silver Bear: Conveyed to Amtrak. Still in service.
- Silver Antelope: As you stated, Algoma Central.
- Silver Beaver: Owned by VIA, stored inactive.
16-section sleepers: None exist as sectional sleepers All were converted to
chair cars in
the 60's.
- Silver Maple: Went to Amtrak. Now in service with the Heart of Dixie Railroad
Museum in
Calera, AL, US.
- Silver Aspen: In service with the Grand Canyon Railroad, Williams, AZ, US
(car now named
Colorado River).
Domes
CZ-22 (Women & Children's Car)
- Silver Bridle: Amtrak, then Alaska RR, now Inland Lakes Railway in Florida,
US. "A" end to
be set up as a lounge.
- Silver Lariat: Amtrak. Now CZ Railcar Charters. Probably the best-known ex-CZ
charter.
Women's restroom converted to kitchen. All seats face each other in pairs with
a table
between them.
- Silver Bronco: Retained by Ansco. Still the same as the day the RGZ quit
running, only
with 20+ years worth of "storage wear".
- Silver Dollar: Currently for sale. Stripped to the bone.
- Silver Feather: Owned by Ontario Northland (Canada). Used on their "Polar
Bear Express"
trains.
CZ-21 (Conductor's Car)
- Silver Ranch: Amtrak. This car has had a rough life, but it's hanging in
there. Now owned
(again) by BNSF, stored inactive in Kansas.
- Silver Mustang: Privately owned. Living in City of Commerce, CA, US.  Headed
for a
complete restoration to CZ spec. I think this car will be your best bet for an
example of
impeccable restoration.
- Silver Palace: Algoma Central.
CZ-20
- Silver Pony: Owned by Grand Canyon Railway, but was damaged in transit to
them. Model
this one with no wheels, sitting on ties. The jury is still out on repair.
- Silver Scout: Parked in a field in Texas in full Auto Train colors.
Dome-Obs
- Silver Horizon: Not moving anytime soon. It's the Amtrak station for Phoenix,
AZ, US. I'm
told the mods are not pretty.
- Silver Sky: A hopeful future, but right now it's a gutted hulk. Sad.
- Silver Crescent: In a museum in Miami, FL, US. Hopefully it has survived the
recent
hurricane. It received some hurricane damage a few years ago. It is exactly in
the condition
it was in when the CZ ended.
Buffet-Lounge
- Silver Club: Was Amtrak. Now privately owned, and I understand fairly
complete.
- Silver Shop: Fairly complete, but well vandalized. It's for sale.
- Silver Chalet: Charter service. One end has been cut off and turned into and
open-end
observation. Currently undergoing repairs from a fire.
Diner
- Silver Diner: Still in Amtrak service as 8551.

I hope this is close to what you were looking for.  If not, sorry for the long
post.

Allan

Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy).
http://us.click.yahoo.com/r7D80C/dlQLAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM