[CBQ] CZ car selections from BLI upcoming cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] CZ car selections from BLI upcoming cars
From: "vector_one75" <vector_one75@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:25:29 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi,

Looking through the California Zephyr websites, "ghost" lists etc,
there are gaps in the lists of car dispositions. The upcoming
Broadway Limited California Zephyr cars are lettered for a selection
of specific Burlington, Rio Grande, and Western Pacific cars. Some of
these are a number of prototype CZ cars known per the "ghost" lists
to be either have been scrapped, too substantially modified, or have
been actively used in other actual railroad service, to actually be
able to use the names / numbers of the BLI models to assemble a CZ
model. Can anyone give some insights to what extent these BLI cars
NOT listed in the "ghost" list as being scrapped, heavily modified,
or otherwise unencumbered by other prototype railroads, among the
names / numbers of the BLI cars on offer, and are still in existence
in their substantial external appearance, interior configuration, and
NOT in active operation elsewhere on a RAILROAD (ie, which may be
operating in charter or excursion service, or preserved in museum or
other static position).

As an example of a fairly complex question I'm asking, the 10-6
sleepers on offer by BLI are CB&Q 423 Silver Point, CB&Q 424 Silver
Shore, CB&Q 425 Silver Butte, DRG&W 1130 Silver Pass, DRG&W 1132
Silver Gorge, WP 861 Silver Arroyo, WP 862 Silver Canyon, WP 864
Silver Palisade, and PRR 8449 Silver Rapids. The "ghost list
indicates that of the BLI's lettering offerings, Silver: Pass, Gorge,
and Palisade have been scrapped, and Arroyo had been converted to
coach in Mexico with "fate uncertain", and Rapids has been converted
to 8 rmts 6 dbr and small kitchen for excursion service. Presumably,
then, the remaining BLI 10-6 cars on offer (Silver: Point, Shore,
Butte, and Canyon) should be still "untampered-with" even though
maybe static or unoperational or still actively operational. What
about the possibility that the original Auto-Train might have
been "taken" from this remaining group?

Since being a half a world away and not too knowledgeable in the
details, I am a bit stumped since the lack of definitive
dispopsitiion informsation in the "ghost" list creates an ambiguity.
Can anyone verify for me that this is so, that the 3 CB&Q and 1 WP 10-
6's can be confidently known to be still "pure" among the BLI
lettered models?

Similarly, the Baggage cars lettered by BLI for: D&RGW 1100 Silver
Antelope has gone to Algoma Central and WP 801 Silver Beaver has gone
to VIA, leaving  only CB&Q 903 Silver Brear the only "untsampered
with" BLI model of the CZ baggage as lettered. Can this also be
confirmed, as well as the remaining BLI cars in the same vein I am
inquiring?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out whether a still untampered-with
consist of a CZ model can be assembled with a prototypical consist of
TYPES of cars (not necessarily the NUMBER of each type) to represent
a model as if such a "reconstituted" prototype CZ for (an admittedly
freelance) contemporary "cruise"-type service on a layout. By the
way, I would consider the "normal", conductor's office, and women's
car dome-coaches as being of separate dome-coach types, so I do need
3 dome -coaches, and I'd wish also to exlude those 10-6's, dome, and
other cars which had been in original Auto-Train, Alaskan service,
Algoma Central, or other railroads (though I'd include tourist and
museum operations in the context for my purposes) from the CZ model
I'd be looking at.

It would be easier to have such lettered cars selected by BLI.
However, I now see that they will be issuing unlettered cars as well
so if the lettered ones are prototypically unavailable, then I'd have
to letter the unlettered cars myself, provided I can get good
complete information on which prototype cars should be represented in
the model.

Looking beyond the current BLI offerings, a set of later (1952?) 10-
6's were added into the CZ from what I understand (to be corrected)
along with a group of 10-6's for other Zephyrs which did not have the
opposite side aisle windows to coincide with the double bedroom
doors, a unique feature of the original CZ 10-6's whicj no other 10-
6's ever had. It is also mu understanding that a later addition to
the CZ's observation-dome cars and the 16 section sleepers were of a
different floorplan number from the originals, and that at least some
of the dome - buffet lounge cars were later modified in their kitchen
facilities. Can these facts be verified also, in case BLI eventually
brings in these cars as well?

Any help on this information would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Vytautas B. Radzivanas
"Vyt"
Perth, Western Australia