[CBQ] Re: CZ car selections from BLI upcoming cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CZ car selections from BLI upcoming cars
From: "Allan" <allan@californiazephyr.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:13:01 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "vector_one75" <vector_one75@h...> wrote:

> coach in Mexico with "fate uncertain", and Rapids has been converted
> to 8 rmts 6 dbr and small kitchen for excursion service. Presumably,

I believe the Rapids no longer has a kitchen. It is now a 10 roomette-5 double
bedroom
sleeper.

> then, the remaining BLI 10-6 cars on offer (Silver: Point, Shore,
> Butte, and Canyon) should be still "untampered-with" even though

Silver Canyon was converted to an Instrument car by SP.  UP listed it for sale
in '98,
minimum bid of $45k.  Don't know about the others.

> to VIA, leaving  only CB&Q 903 Silver Brear the only "untsampered
> with" BLI model of the CZ baggage as lettered. Can this also be
> confirmed

Silver Bear is now (still) Amtrak 1170, still in service, sometimes on their CZ.

> Looking beyond the current BLI offerings, a set of later (1952?) 10-
> 6's were added into the CZ from what I understand (to be corrected)

6-5 Sleepers were added in 1952.

> It is also mu understanding that a later addition to
> the CZ's observation-dome cars

Silver Lookout was added in 1952.

> and the 16 section sleepers were of a
> different floorplan number from the originals, and that at least some

In the early 60's the 16-section sleepers were converted to 48-seat chair cars
and re-
designated CZ-23, putting them in front of the CZ-22 dome, and directly behind
the
baggage car.  CB&Q renumbered their cars to reflect the change.

> of the dome - buffet lounge cars were later modified in their kitchen
> facilities. Can these facts be verified also, in case BLI eventually
> brings in these cars as well?

I believe the only change in the buffet-lounge cars was turning them into
"Cable Car
Lounges".  I'm pretty sure it was basically a cosmetic change to give them an
identity
particular to the CZ.

This is already long so I'm going to make a second post.

Allan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM