Re: [CBQ] Track charts of Chicago

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Track charts of Chicago
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 09:04:48 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Station and engineering maps of the various sites, not necessarily
the same thing.  The D&RGW & D&SL/D&NWP had maps that varied in size
from 1'x2' to 25' x 5'.   These maps were also colored and shaded to
depict the various types of building materials used - the coloring is
nice, but not necessary as the shading (i.e. the building walls are
all "//" or "\" or "||" or "=" (but using drafting material, the
effect is much nicer)) is all you really need, and both are listed on
the keys.  Too, these maps have the AFE's associated with the various
improvements on the map.  So, for instance, when a building was
modified from a men's to a women's dressing/locker room at Burnham
shops and yards during the war, the associated AFES are
indicated.  It's then a simple matter to go to the CoRRM and look up
those AFEs and get more information.

But the information on these maps goes MUCH further than the typical
Sanburn map.  Everything is on it, from the pipes that run under the
tracks to the various hydrants, to the culverts to the overhead
piping, to the drains for the wash racks, to the various fittings in
the coach yard, etc.

The RGM&HS has copies of them available for over 75 sites around the
railroad, dating back to the early 1900.  The process for copying it
is really quite simple, and this is really the reason I bring it
up.  Here is what we did.  We found a blue print shop, and they
scanned all of the maps and they are on CD's.  Note that NONE of
these maps were the property of the society, though the scans
are.  The CD's are then stored at various places as a poor man's
version of archiving (the achievement of a brick & mortar archive is
as much a problem for us as anyone) .  The blue print shop keeps a
master copy of the CD, and we send him orders.  He merely re-prints
the maps from the master CD.

Some of these maps are on the original linen, some are actual blue
prints, some are copies themselves.  The beauty of a blue print shop
is that they are used to all of these forms and the conversion is no
big deal - they do it all the time.  The best thing though is that
these precious artifacts are saved for the future - and the
information is shared in the present.  A great win-win.  I know that
the BRHS is semi-Luddite when it comes to new technology and anything
with an up-front cost, but this also becomes a revenue stream as
well.  I know it's hard to visualize for some, but it really is
useful.  I know it also requires a certain amount of faith in such
things as order processing and CDs and such, but it really does work
quite well.  And with the up front cost is surprisingly low, the
revenue is rolled back into the map project, where more maps are
purchased or the existing artifacts are repaired, and the project
becomes self-sustaining.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM