Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2542

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2542
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 09:49:38 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Russ,

I remember many grayback consists in that time frame that had a GP7/9
spliced in the middle, but not many SD7/9s. As for the SD24's, turbos
and main generators were their big problems early on. I recall stories
at EMD about the Q SD24s and their turbo failures. Those involved often
said it was a "good" trip if a westbound made it past La Grange without
blowing a turbo. I suspect they went back to the main plant for
modification to fix the early problems. Remember that the SD24 and Q's
specifically were EMD's first venture into turbocharger engines. I
started there in 1966 and turbo design improvements were still being
developed. Slipping clutches were a big issue by that time. With the
SD24s, blade and bearing failure were common.

Bill Barber

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM