Re: [CBQ] Track charts of Chicago

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Track charts of Chicago
From: <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 00:10:03 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Jim
Do not use the Sanborn Fire Maps.  Most only show buildings and not trackage.
I spent some time in the fire service and would not recommend them for any
thing except field studies to add  to the info.
Example is the Fire Maps of Aurora.  The depot area proper if you can find the
right ones shows the out line of the old quarry that was the depot site(not the
present site the old depot on South Broadway)  And for trackage the maps show
only two mains.  And the elevation was built with three and the idea was to add
two more on the west side of the present elevation.  The west side of the
elevation was where the old main ran on ground level during the construction.
Most Sanborn maps I have seen are copies in the State Library in Springfield on
Microfilm which is Black and White and the maps were color coded for building
types and construction.  Some have the updates in them.  There are some
originals in Ottawa Library but just for that town.
And track charts are not the best as they were often not updated.  Some in my
collection have been updated by the people who were using them
The best thing is Station Maps which are very detailed and had to come by.  I
managed to salvage some years ago and they have a wealth of details
SJH