Re: [CBQ] A Touch off topic

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] A Touch off topic
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:41:36 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
If this is the SP 2-8-2 it was stuck between two grocery warehouses
(which likely prevented initial wind damage, but might have helped
secondary blown object damage).   I'd be much more concerned about
the rolling stock that was associated with it.  Steam locomotives are
a lot more resilient to floods than darn near anything else on the
rails - of course, there are a few more pieces of electronic
equipment on it, but those are relatively inexpensive and easy to
change out.   If it was in the flood waters, it will have to be
completely decontaminated. The Canal Street street cars are likely
totaled as the barn they were in was already flooded when the last
people left there.  Any rail-related transit is going to take a long
time to recover.  The railroads themselves will recover faster than
other modes of infrastructure (as usual) - railroads are remarkably
resilient - I have stashed away news and photos on the subject if
anyone is interested they can email me off list and I'll be happy to send them,

At 08:39 AM 9/21/2005, you wrote:
>During the 2000 Convention in Fort Worth we rode the Tarantula train
>from Grapevine to the stockyards.  Part of the way it was pulled by a
>reconditioned steamer that was bound for New Orleans to be The Big Easy
>Steam Train.  Wonder what has become of that locomtive and if still
>around, how it weathered Katrina?
>Robert Nelson

Bob Webber

Make a difference. Find and fund world-changing projects at GlobalGiving.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/PcNrnD/PbOLAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM