Re: [CBQ] Re: Ore Cars on the "Q"

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Ore Cars on the "Q"
From: robert runty <brjr51@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 08:04:58 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I shot photos of the DM&IR car trains in Savannah during the early BN era in
late May, early June. I assume these were headed to US Steel in Gary. Were they
then handed off to the J at Eola?

Bob Runty

thommack <thommack@yahoo.com> wrote:
If you are talking about the solid trains of ore jennies, those would
have been either GN or DM&IR (solid consists, not mixed). The DM&IR
cars were bound for steel mill complexes owned by the same steel
company that owned the DM&IR (can't recall off hand whose - I've got
the info at home). The GN cars went to a different set of steel mills
around Chicago. I first thought that these trains only ran during the
winter when the Great Lakes froze over, but there is a shot of one of
these trains (a GN consist) that was shot on a hot day in June or
July, so they apparently ran whenever needed.

BTW, the Walthers ore cars are right on for these cars. I run a solid
GN set on my Savanna to Chicago line in 1967/68 (around "The Horn" of
course).

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Steve Doyle <doylesteve19@y...> wrote:
> Does anyone know which roads' ore cars might be found running on Q
trackage in the late-50's-early-60s? I know a few pictures exist in
the usual books, but it doesn't seem clear whose cars they were.
> Many thanks,
> Steve Doyle
> Wayzata, MN

Business finances Model railroad train Train railway Car enthusiasts Railway
Corvette enthusiast

Help tsunami villages rebuild at GlobalGiving. The real work starts now.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/njNroD/KbOLAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM