[CBQ] Denrock Sub and around the horn - Part 2

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Denrock Sub and around the horn - Part 2
From: "thommack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:29:44 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Thanks everyone for the info. Let me see if I have this straight (I'm
going from Spoor Vol. 4 and the Operating Data Sheets and the replies
to my first post):

1. There was still a line from Earlville to Sterling, and trains 639
and 640 operated this branch. Nothing about any trains continuing from
there to Denrock in the Data Sheets. Makes sense since according to
Steve Holding's post, out of Sterling you had to go over the C&NW
Sterling to Agnew line to get back to Q rails. But the map in Spoor's
Vol. 4 shows the line continuing on through to Denrock. Why? Did the Q
at one time have a line that they abandoned in favor of trackage
rights over the C&NW?

2. Trains used the route from Denrock through Prophetstown, Walnut,
and Ohio to get to Medota, then up to Chicago on the Galesburg to
Chicago main. Other than locals 589 and 590, and the iron ore/taconite
and potash extras, did any other through freights use this line?
Doesn't seem like it was very busy, more or less an alternative to get
Savanna to Chicago. But it would also seem there may have been a fair
amount of industry along the line for it to have its own wayfreight.

3. Following along with points 1 and 2, interstingly out of Denrock
locals 589 and 590 headed southwest down to Barstow. On the map in
Spoor Vol. 4 this appears to be the continuation of the line from
Earlville to Rock Falls to Sterling to Denrock. So back to point 1 and
what became of the line between Sterling and Denrock?

4. Per Russ's post, train 88 went this way, but the Data Sheets don't
list it. What was its origin/destination? And Russ, did you mean in
your post that since 82 was the "Hot Train" from TC to Chicago it went
from Savanna along the North route through Oregon, IL?

5. Why do the Data Sheets show 89 and 156 between Savanna and
Galesburg going through Barstow and Denrock? According to the map in
Spoor Vol. 4 there was a shorter Q line through Iowa between Fulton
and Moline that went on the West side of the Mississippi through
Clinton, Bettendorf, Davenport, and Rock Island. Was this line not in
use in 1967/68?

Thanks for all the help. I'm asking a lot but learning a lot!

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

P.S. This has to do with plans for further layout expansion and some
exciting ideas.

Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy).
http://us.click.yahoo.com/r7D80C/dlQLAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM