Re: [CBQ] Reefers Question

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Reefers Question
From: Russell Strodtz <19main@groundcontrol.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:52:59 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Paul,

Take this in steps:

1. AT&SF was the only major road that seldom if ever pooled cars
with other roads. While with diversions and shipper's selection of
routings you may see a car here and there it would not be a lot.
Since AT&SF did have Freight House loadings that needed to go to
the GN or NP they delivered to Cicero almost every day. Often
their Freight House loading would be done in SFRD's. Would be
more likely to see a group moving North than East or West.

2. The one Eastbound train that I have posted recently was LC70.
That train originated at South Omaha and was specifically run to
attract the hanging meat business. While it might have had an
occasional PFE they would not be common on that train.

3. Have recently posted list for three IHB to CB&Q deliveries.
They give a better idea of the mix of initials that normally
moved.

4. The solid PFE trains on the SP and UP is largely lore rather
than data. For the entire Summer and Fall they were pooling with
just about anyone that had fan type cars except the AT&SF. Just
looking at the books I have that showed trains on that route the
car next to the engine is not always a PFE. They used BAR's entire
fleet for about nine months of every year.

5. As the trains moved further East the cars got scattered. A CB&Q
train leaving South Omaha would have a pretty solid block of just
a few types of meat reefers. On the other hand think about a NKP
train leaving Hammond headed East. While it may be solid reefers
they would be a total mix from all the roads that come into Chicago
from the West.

6. A caution. When you are talking about PFE cars in the late 60's
they would only be going East. Westbound they would be rather rare,
although not entirely missing. Why? PFE made a deal with the Penn
Central and C&NW to move them West in solid blocks. While the other
roads continued to get normal business volumes going East the C&NW
returned most of the empties.

I will type up and post another Eastbound train. This time it will
not be LC70.

Russ