Re: [CBQ] Steam & Diesel Consist

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Steam & Diesel Consist
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:44:57 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Keeping the speed the same was not a problem. They
were coupled together. The laws of physic required
that they move at the same speed, i.e. have a zero
relative velocity between them, or would move apart.
The real question however, was how was tractive effort
and by extension horsepower balanced? That was the
result of the efforts of the two crews or as you put
it "good ole experience". Also the lead engine
controled the braking as the the trailing locomotive
had it's "doubleheading cock" closed.

--- "Ralph W. Brown, Jr." <cbq682@grics.net> wrote:

> Thank you Phil.  This brings another question to my
> post steam (& waycar) life.  How did they keep the
> speeds of both the diesel and steam locomotives
> close?  I assume just good ole' experience?  Or was
> there a trick or signals?  Thanks again.  This is
> great learning material.
>
> R.W. Brown, Jr.
> Galesburg, IL
>

> Hello, Ralph - During the 'transition' period it was
> not uncommon to see steam and diesel locomotives
> working together, although the practice was rare on
> the Burlington.  Flatland railroads would often
> doublehead to move locomotives to another terminal
> without incurring an additional train movement. (A
> light engine on the mainline is a 'train').
> Mountain railroads would often have steam
> locomotives in 'helper' service, and they would tie
> on to whatever power was assigned to a train - steam
> or diesel.  And, yes, multiple engine crews were
> needed.  Each engineer handled the throttle on his
> own locomotive, but the engineer on the lead
> locomotive took control of the air brakes on the
> train.  That was the only 'MU' (multiple unit)
> function that existed when steam and diesel were
> worked together.  Diesels just didn't know how to
> "talk" to a steam locomotive!  Only a few steam
> locomotives ever learned to talk to a diesel - the
> Mid-Contin ent Railway Museum's C&NW 4-6-0 #1385 was
> fitted with a rudimentary diesel control setup to
> handle the more modern locomotives that were
> 'assisting' it.  But the engineer was handling the
> diesel throttle separately from the steam throttle.
> The tender had an MU receptacle for the 27 point
> jumper cable!  Phil Weibler
>

>   I have been browsing at the photographs posted at
> CastleGraphic.com.  Under the 01 AUG 05 collection
> are many photos of the 4000 series Hudsons.  Towards
> the bottom one of the photographs titled "4003
> January 1953" depicts lead locomotive 4003 followed
> by a GP7 or 9.  I can't recall seeing consist with a
> mix of steam and diesel power.  Did this happen
> often?  When it did, were two engineers required?
>
>   R.W. Brown, Jr.
>   Galesburg, IL

> removed]

http://mail.yahoo.com

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h04eis9/M=362131.6882500.7825259.1493532/D=groups/S=1706043004:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123808690/A=2889190/R=0/SIG=10r90krvo/*http://www.thebeehive.org
">Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy) Welcome to the Sweet
Life - brought to you by One Economy</a>.</font>