[CBQ] Re: Can you identify this type Zephyr car?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Can you identify this type Zephyr car?
From: "domelinerdude" <domelinerdude@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:53:09 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "wollffee" <wolfee@u...> wrote:
> http://calzephyr.railfan.net/gallery/spenthouse.jpg
>
> Not the obs, but the one immediately in front of it, with 6 evenly
> placed windows.  There is no diner, sleeper, coach, lounge that I
know
> of that would have such a window arrangement.  Does anybody know
what
> it is?  Can you provide any of the "silver" names of it (them)?

Dave is right, it is a 6-5, but wait!!! The car you looking to
identify is indeed a 5 Compartment, 6 Double bedroom Pullman,
however it is a 1956 edition built for the Vista Dome Denver Zephyr!

Notice near the vestibule end the 1956 DZ boarding number window
(larger than a CZ car boarding number window), also the lack of a
sand fill hatch (near the vestibule, a 1953 Budd feature.)  Then
look too at the lack of a RR name plate, but rather a small Pullman
name plate.

And finally the placement of this car in front of the Dome
Observation.  The regular assigned 6-5 Pullman is behind the diner
(mid-train).  This is an extra car on the day of the photograph.

Based on these details it is safe to say this car is either Silver
Swan or Silver Pelican built for the Denver Zephyr in 1956!

Hubert