Re: [CBQ] How did the passenger trains make money and other questions?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] How did the passenger trains make money and other questions?
From: Bill Hirt <whirt@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:37:57 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rick Keil wrote:

> Okay, been sitting on this question for awhile.  I am not sure how much it
> would have cost to ride the CZ for the entire trip, I know it would cost
> more for sleeping accomidations versus coach.

In summer 1967, the coach round-trip fare between Chicago and San
Francisco was $115.15. The first-class fare was $135.45 round trip. A
lower berth was an additional $48.40 round-trip. A Roomette was an
additional $67.60 round-trip. More expensive rooms were also available.
A government traveler via train was authorized to get a lower berth for
overnight travel.

> Did those that paid for coach just sleep in the seats (like airlines)?

I rode the NZ and the CZ each once before the merger. If you were in
coach you slept in your seat. We never really did that as we just rode
from Aurora, Illinois, to Omaha. But by the time we were getting close
to Omaha (especially on the CZ), there were people sleeping in their seats.

> Did those that got sleeping car berths simply stay in those rooms the entire
> trip (except to eat)?

They had their own lounge car. The rough equivalent today with Amtrak is
the "Sightseeing" (Observation) car which is open to everyone on the
train. With 4 kids and mom, I never rode in a sleeping car until after
Amtrak took over and only in Superliner cars.

> Could you ride in the dome the whole time or did people get asked to move so
> others could get the view?

My brother and I would scamper up to the dome as soon as our tickets
were collected. My sisters and mom stayed down in the coach seats. We'd
sit up there the whole trip and eventually we'd work our way to the
front seats. We'd watch that Mars light dance and signals change as we
raced across Iowa.

Bill Hirt