Re: [CBQ] How did the passenger trains make money and other questions?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] How did the passenger trains make money and other questions?
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:11:21 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
You slept in coach seats as you do in Amtrak coach seats today - but they
were and are a far cry from airline seats.  They had legrest portions that
fit on the foot rest portions - essentially making a chaise lounge and the
back rest could go about 20 degrees from vertical - they were very
comfortable.  I took it many times and slept quite well in coach.

Those in sleeping cars had the dome sections in the obs & lounge cars
reserved for them and the lounge areas in the obs reserved for them and the
lounge areas in the lounge car - plenty of places to walk to and from and
relax in.  Most didn't stay in their rooms - though the CZ cars were
designed specifically so that you could see out both sides of the car from
your rooms - which is why the CZ 10-6 is unlike most others.

You could ride the domes the entire trip no one really bothered you.  But
you occasionally left for food or sleep - so natural turnover
happened.  Too, some people just didn't like the scenery of high desert or
farm land - or being that high in mountain areas.  Some people felt queasy
and had fear of heights.  So you could usually get a seat - not necessarily
the best seat - but you could get a seat.

I always got into the dome real early (if I ever went to sleep at
night).  My pattern was usually the reverse of most folks.  I loved the
domes at night and slept during the day.  Not all day, but there were parts
of the trip that after the first few trips you knew that you could sleep
and not miss anything.  Too - you could, if you were smart, combine a meal,
a nap and a long station stop and be back in a dome seat before others.  If
you knew the territory it helped a lot - joust as it does now on
Amtrak.  But... if you were like me and got in the dome at about 9 pm and
stayed until morning, you were just about guaranteed a prime seat at some
point.  And there was NOTHING finer than being in a Budd short dome on a
moon lit night when (finally) everyone else was quiet and you were zipping
along at 70 mph and you felt isolated and you could see the occasional farm
or ranch house or car and just see everything by the light of the stars and
moon - the experience had to be felt to be believed.  Still nothing better.

At 06:49 PM 7/1/2005, you wrote:
>Okay, been sitting on this question for awhile.  I am not sure how much it
>would have cost to ride the CZ for the entire trip, I know it would cost
>more for sleeping accomidations versus coach.
>
>Did those that paid for coach just sleep in the seats (like airlines)?
>
>Did those that got sleeping car berths simply stay in those rooms the entire
>trip (except to eat)?
>
>How many passengers would typically ride the CZ?
>
>How did the railroads split the money up, was it based on ridership,
>mileage, destinations, etc?
>
>Could you ride in the dome the whole time or did people get asked to move so
>others could get the view?
>
>Thanks
>
>Rick Keil
>Ft Campbell, KY