[CBQ] Re: ex-DZ cars Black Hills Central

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: ex-DZ cars Black Hills Central
From: "Rick Briney" <briney@spe.midco.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:58:28 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I ended up in Hill City, SD today. I forgot my camera so no pics but
I was able to get what I think are the car numbers. The cars are all
lettered "Texas Zephyr" with a small "Burlington" on each end. There
is no other ID on the sides of the cars. On the end above the doors
inside what is left of the diaphragms I found these numbers. On the
Observation the number 641 is stenciled. On what I believe is the
coach, 606 is stenciled, and on what I believe is the Dorm Lounge
323 is stenciled.

On the ebay pages, the 606 is pictured as both the coach and the
dorm. The 323 is not in a good location to photograph.

To the best of my knowledge the cars are not modified for company
service use. I was told that one was in use as a dormitory for
summer help years ago. The cars have been neglected for many years.
The previous owner had no idea of the treasures he had in his
possession, and the current owners are concentrating on improving
the railroad for the tourist business.

Rick Briney
Sturgis, SD

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "rrhistorian" <rrhistorian@h...> wrote:
> I would also be interested in seeing recent photos of these cars.
> Also,   does anyone know how these cars were used after leaving
> revenue passenger service?  Were they used in company service?
Have