[CBQ] Mail and Express hauled by Nebraska Zephyr

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Mail and Express hauled by Nebraska Zephyr
From: Ed DeRouin <Ed@pixelspublishing.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:05:15 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
> Thanks for the lead, that is helpful.  Any info, or leads, as to what
> this train hauled would also be very useful.  I am looking for both
> consist information, and what was actually being hauled.

Tom and Others:

As Jim Neubauer pointed out, the NZ consist was expanded when the Coloradoan
was discontinued, I believe, in 1958. I do not have the exact data handy.

In reality, the two trains were combined between Chicago and Lincoln. when
arguing before the ICC to discontinue at train, or train pair, the railroad
always indicated that service would continue via other schedules - the last
train off was a different case. So, in essence, the few coach passengers
could ride in the coaches of the NZ from Chicago to Lincoln. Filling the
need between Lincoln and Denver were the California Zephyr, Denver Zephyr,
and unnamed number 7.

The head end business - or mail, baggage, and express - was merely added to
the NZ. And, when the Kansas City Zephyr was consolidated with the NZ (and
Coloradoan) in 1962, more head end cars in addition to the four or so
passenger cars were added to the train. What was hauled was mail (storage
and RPO), baggage, and express (shipments via the Railway Express Agency).
Some cars were actually added to the CZ for the Lincoln - Denver segment.

But, most of the mail on the NZ was bound for Council Bluffs and the UP
Transfer - a point where much transcon mail was handed to the UP to carry
westward.

That is the short story.

The rest of the story could fill a book, and will. The North Shore freight
book is at the printer and I have begun the next book in the series, which
will explore how the railroads handled mail, baggage, and express. For CB&Q
fans, I believe that you will find plenty of useful and hopefully new
material.

Please do not be too disappointed in my brief answer, but if I typed the
entire answer to your question and responded to your follow up questions,
which I suspect could be many, I would spend a great amount of time on the
list and not on the book, something that would help you but deprive others
with similar questions. So please be patient with me. I am confident that
the book will be on the market in less than twelve months.

Best regards,

Ed DeRouin

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM